Meet your instructor!
Stephanie Daniels is a Chicago transplant who moved to Tucson almost four years ago.
Growing up in the Midwest, she spent a lot of time outside with her family, riding her bike to the local park, playing baseball and soccer in the backyard, and exploring the local trails. When she moved to Tucson, she had her sights set on the mountains but knew almost nothing about the outdoors of the Southwest. She wanted to learn as much as she could so she got a job working at the local gear supply store, Summit Hut, and jumped into the outdoors with both feet.
In the time she's been in Tucson, she's progressed from hiking easy three-mile trails to tackling multi-day backpacking trips. She backpacked by herself in Zion National Park, hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up again, climbed Baboquivari Peak, explored Aravaipa Canyon, hiked countless miles in the Santa Catalina, Tucson, Rincon, and Santa Rita Mountains, and received her Wilderness First Responder’s certification.
Her proudest outdoor achievement is hiking the John Muir Trail in August and September 2019, hiking 235 miles in 24 days.
She still remembers what it felt like to be a beginner, overwhelmed by the gear choices and knowledge needed to get outside.
She's passionate about sharing what she's learned with others, empowering you to go after your own adventures. In her spare time, she enjoys watercolor painting scenes from her hikes. She shares both her artwork and her hiking adventures at www.brushesandboots.com
Where: Mount Lemmon, Southern Arizona
When: July 6-8, 2021
* Expert instruction on backpacking and journaling skills
* Pre-trip gear advice
* One night of accommodation in a cabin in the village of Summerhaven on Mount Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mountains. The nearest airport is Tucson (TUS).
*One day of backpacking and journaling in the Wilderness of Rocks
* One night of camping. See below for the gear list.
* All cabin and camp food
Hurry! This experiential retreat workshop is capped at 6 participants.
Beginners to advanced backpackers and journalers age 18+ are welcome.
* A $200 non-refundable deposit is due two weeks prior to the workshop date. The remainder is due prior to or at the workshop.
* First responders, educators, and students get 10% off this workshop
* We accept many forms of payment!
* Click below to make your deposit today.
For the Cabin:
* Personal items and toiletries (shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, meds, towel, etc.)
* Comfortable clothes for relaxing time in the cabin/journal time
For the Overnight in the Wilderness:
* Hiking clothes (moisture-wicking/quick-dry material, no cotton!)
-Synthetic or wool shirt (your choice of short-sleeve or long-sleeve)
-Synthetic moisture-wicking pants
-Wool or synthetic socks
-Comfortable hiking boots/shoes (already broken in)
-Ballcap or wide-brim hat
* Sleeping clothes & an extra pair of sleeping socks
* Warm synthetic or down jacket, or fleece jacket
* Warm hat & gloves (depending on weather forecast)
* Rain gear (rain pants, rain jacket with hood) (depending on weather forecast)
* Trekking poles
* Tent (with footprint & tent stakes)
* Sleeping bag
* Sleeping pad
* Water bladder/reservoir or water bottles
* Sunscreen & bug spray
* Water filter (may also share with Stephanie)
* Stove & fuel (may also share with Stephanie)
* Cooking pot (may also share with Stephanie)
* Mug or cup, bowl or plate, spoon/spork
* Trowel/toilet paper/Kula cloth/baby wipes
* Camp shoes (sandals or lighter athletic shoes for walking around camp)
* Snacks (main meals will be provided but feel free to bring your favorite snacks)
* Biodegradable soap or hand sanitizer
**GPS/satellite communicator, map, first aid kit, repair kit, matches, and emergency supplies will be provided by Stephanie**
Don't Own All This? Here's Gear Rental Information:
Summit Hut in Tucson rents backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and trekking poles http://www.summithut.com
REI rents full backpacking kits including backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trekking poles, stoves and camp chairs https://www.rei.com/rentals/pricing